AIA Publishing was created for authors who want the stamp of approval that comes from publishing with a subscription model publisher plus the high royalties and control enjoyed by self-publishers.
Books published by AIA Publishing have passed through a submission and editorial process that ensures that the book meets the standards set for inclusion in this site.
Our model gives you, the author, the validation of quality you would get from any mainstream publishing contract plus 100% royalties on ebook sales and 85% of paperback sales, or 100% if you want to upload them to Create Space yourself – however, the book will not get the same world-wide distribution. This great royalty rate and control of the ebook product come because you fund the project. We just help you publish it and make sure that your book deserves our name.
We’re perfect for those on a tight budget who don’t want to create their own publishing company or have their own name (or Amazon Digital Services or Smashwords) appear as the publisher on their book listings. With us, you can avoid the self-publishing stigma.
Our rates are very reasonable, but if you want to spend more on covers and more complex formatting, you’re welcome to use other service providers and still use the AIA Publishing name. We guide you through the process, but you decide what level of cost you can afford.
Authors retain control over the product both during production and afterwards. Books that meet our standards at the end of the editorial process are given the option of publishing with AIA Publishing. We have designed this service to meet the needs of contemporary authors; we stand for quality and independence.
Our publishing focus is fiction, but we will also consider self-help books.
“Unlike other companies, AIA Publishing is not about making money and squeezing the indie writer’s resources dry in return for mediocre services. Rather, they are laser focused on providing high quality books at costs that are more than reasonable. Tahlia gives authors complete ownership and control of their work, she provides quality services, coordinates with gifted professionals, and gives very good advice to make your book a success. Tahlia patiently explained the process, costs, and the services required to produce a well edited book. Easy to work with, very responsive, and high informative, Tahlia has been remarkably helpful!
The AIA Publishing stamp means high quality awarded by knowledgeable professionals who love books for books’ sake. I am thrilled to be published by AIA Publishing! – J.M. Erickson: Author of Intelligent Design: Revelations.
Submission Process for AIA Publishing:
- Authors with books that have received an AIA Seal of Excellence may republish with AIA Publishing for the cost of the Publisher’s Fee. Please email AIAadmin (at) awesomeindies (dot) net if you’re interested.
- Authors with books already on the site who wish to republish with AIA may submit their book for consideration by our executive editor. The book may require another proofread before publishing by AIA Publishing, or it may simply not excite us enough for us to want it to wear our name. If you’re interested email AIAadmin (at) awesomeindies (dot) net
- Other authors: If your book has already been fully or partially edited you may submit your ms to us using the submission guidelines below. We will look at a sample and either reject the book, or request the full manuscript for us to read (free of charge), or suggest a manuscript appraisal and further editing.
- Alternatively, or following the above, authors may submit their manuscripts (ms) for appraisal by our editors and indicate their interest in publishing with AIA Publishing, or they may be directed to a ms appraisal after the previous step. The ms appraisal will ascertain what further editing the book requires to reach a publishable standard. We may express interest in the book at this stage, dependent on the author following our editorial suggestions, but we reserve the final decision whether to publish the book until the proofreading stage.
- Authors with books edited by AIA Editing Service may be offered the opportunity to publish with AIA Publishing. If the author of such books wish to self-publish without our assistance, they may use the AIA Publishing name for the cost of the publisher’s fee, but we will need to approve cover and formatting.
- Editing: The author will undertake the editorial services required.
- Final Decision: After proofreading, our team will discuss the book. If we are enthusiastic about it, we will offer to publish it. If we don’t make an offer, you should (if you accepted our editorial suggestions) still have a publishable book, which you can then self-publish or submit to other publishers.
If we select your book and you take up our offer of AIA Author-Funded Publication:
- We will determine your requirements and give you a separate quote for ebook and Print on Demand (POD) based on the estimates below.
- You will decide if you want one or both services.
- We will arrange the cover design and formatting for ebook and paperback. You pay for each service separately at each stage of the process, and you may stop working with us at any time. You may also choose different service providers for the production of your book, but we must approve their work and take no responsibility if their files don’t meet Lightning Source’s requirements.
- We will give you the files for your ebooks to upload yourself, so that you have total control and 100% royalties. Even though you’ve uploaded the files to your own account, you may cite AIA Publishing as the publisher if you have an AIA Publishing ISBN.
- We will publish the paperback (if you choose that option) after the ebook has been published.
- Paperbacks have worldwide distribution through Ingram Distributors. Your paperback will appear on Amazon and other online stores within two weeks of publication and will be available for order through all bookstores.
- Our services include a featured spot on the site; a cover reveal, publication announcement, and author interview on our blog; Tweet and Facebook posts; publication notification for our email list subscribers; and one review and a guest post on our blog.
These costs cover simple but elegant formatting and a simple book cover. You can either choose from our book cover designers or take our suggestion for which one to use. Our subcontractors are all Awesome Indies Authors who charge reasonable prices. (Using their services is one of the ways that we support our authors) You will pay the subcontractors for their cover design and formatting and pay a set fee for co-ordination to us; half up front and half on completion of the project.
We won’t charge you for what we don’t do; however, if you choose a service provider not recommended by us, we will ask you to redo any formatting or cover design that fails to meet our standards. We suggest discussing your choice of providers with us before deciding.
Formatting: $70. We do this using Scrivener software, but we have a subcontractor who will do it using HTML if you want something fancier. Her services do cost more, however.
Cover: From $30 (not including the purchase of stock photos if we don’t have something suitable or special graphics). You set the budget. Our designers design accordingly.
ISBN and AIA Publishing fee: A set fee of $150 covers an ISBN for the ebook as well as co-ordination, publicity, tax and business expenses for BOTH ebook and POD, should you decide to publish a paperback edition. (See below for additional POD publication costs.)
Total: From $250
Other possible costs: A stock photo or time-consuming graphics for the cover. A higher fee on the formatting should the interior have a lot of images.
Print on Demand (POD):
(We don’t recommend using Create Space because you don’t get world wide distribution, you get a lot less money for anything you sell outside of Amazon in their expanded distribution, and the quality is not quite as good. You are also completely responsible for publishing with them. Since we don’t work with them, we cannot help you there. However, if you do choose that option, you do not need to pay the Lightning Source set up fees, and if you only plan to sell in the US and the UK, then it may suit you just fine.)
Lightning Source title set up: $15
Lightning Source file upload fee: $85
Lightning Source proof delivered to publisher: $50
Formatting for print: For fiction, $125 for basic formatting done in Word; $200 for non-fiction, or $1 per page for more fancy design using in In Design.
Cover for paperback: $50 minimum.
ISBN and co-ordination fee: A set fee of $100 covers an ISBN for the ebook as well as co-ordination, publicity, tax and business expenses.
Total: $445+ ($295 if you’re choosing the Create Space option)
Total for both services: $695+
Ebook revisions may be done by the author after she or he takes charge of the files, but changes must be submitted for proofreading and approval, charged at $0.0015 per word. We only charge for the parts that are changed.
Paperback revisions will incur a $50 fee per interior or cover file change (required by the printer), plus the proofreading fee for interiors.
- Authors upload their own ebook files to various distribution points and retain all royalties and control over pricing.
- Print on demand: Authors retain 85% of net income, i.e., what we receive from Lightning Source. 100% of paperback royalties if you opt for publishing at Create Space & uploading the files yourself.
- Payments will be via electronic bank transfer where available (just Australia at present) or via Paypal. Payments will be made quarterly.
- The author retains all copyright.
- No exclusivity contracts. Authors can opt out at any time. We just require a couple of weeks notice. So you can take up a better offer elsewhere if you get one.
- Since you ‘pay as you go’, you can opt out at any stage of the process. The only contract is for Print on Demand publication where we agree to pay you 85% of what we receive from your sales.
Apart from what we list above, marketing will be the author’s responsibility, but as the Awesome Indies’ visibility grows, so will our ability to market you. We will not forget you.
How to Submit:
- If your book has not yet been edited, then book in for the full AIA Editing Service and indicate on the form that you are interested in publishing with AIA Publishing.
- If your book has already been edited and you would like a guaranteed full read-through and detailed feedback then submit your manuscript (ms) for appraisal and indicate your interest in publishing with AIA Publishing.
- If your book has already been edited and you don’t require feedback on your manuscript or expect a full read through, please send an email titled ‘Submission for AIA Publishing’ to submissions (at) awesomeindies (dot) net and include the following.
- Author’s name, book title, genre, word count and a short blurb.
- Editors’ names and website links.
- A paragraph about yourself and your writing credits.
- The first 1,500 words in the body of the email.